27 September 2007

My achy-breaky handlebar....

Finally had the budget for a mid-end scram handlebar.
Found a good-looking one at a local shop here in Bukit Merah which I will not name and I swore I will never visit again.

I snagged a nice-looking GPR (not the Italian brand, mind you) handlebar which had a nice, low streetfighter profile.
$60 with installation.
The shop didn't mention it includes a disaster.

They tried installing it but couldn't get the tricky clutch lever bracket in. The mech kept trying to force it in with no succes (with me standing right in front of him). So I showed them a simple (and safe method in the right hands) to insert it in:
Use a screwdirver to wedge the gap opening a bit wider and slide it in.
Great, it works without much manhandling and forcing. But the mech slid it in too far into the handlebar's bend.
So with much gusto, he grabbed the bracket and tried to pull it back into position. With his bare hands. And no tools to assist.
SNAP!
There goes my bracket. Snapped into two.
The supervisor came over while we were fussing over it (and I haven't lost my cool yet), looked over the items and said, with his most confident voice, "Oh, the handlebar you purchased is slightly thicker than norm."

WTF? Thicker than norm? So these are guys are telling me they sell there's a new standard handlebar size outside the 7/8" thickness?
Or are they selling items with poor QC?

And here's the best part: they tried to sucker me into buying a replacement clutch lever bracket from them.

"Ok", I said. "I'll settle it with the boss."
Chaos reigns. Immediately everyone there said, never mind. We'll get you a new replacement.
2 hours later, I get a brand new one, courtesy of the mech who snapped it.

I swear to God, I'm not going back there, even for cheaper tyres.
In case, you wondering, they're the biggest and most prominent bike shop / service workshop in Bukit Merah.
You can figure out the rest....

No comments: