16 September 2007

Argh!! Disaster! Get the doctor, quick!

What a day.
Ok, after getting all my items yesterday, leaving them in my bag overnight and getting all pumped-up and psyched this morning, I decided to install them.
As always, with proper tools and some help from the tech manual, all went well.
Spark plugs in, filter replaced, airbox cleaned out from the excess oil off the crankcase breather and inner chassis wiped clean.
So, I was staring at the four throttle body barrels and here I thought, "Hey, since I got them open, why not do that balancing thingy?".
For the uninitiated, what I was thinking of doing is termed "throttle valve synchronization". For non-EFI bikes, its often called carb-balancing. They have carbs, I have throttle bodies. Different parts, same concept. Essentially I'm trying to balance the air intake for all 4 TBs so the combustion across all 4 TBs will be equal. This will improve acceleration & keep it smooth. That's the theory anyway.
So I called up an friend who showed up with an electronic 4-port vacuum gauge. Instead of mercury like CarbTune or ball-bearings like the original Suzuki vacuum gauge tool, this one displays in a LCD.
So I was doing the thing, attaching the gauge, testing the tool and just spun a few rounds off 2 of the screws when the thing died.
Crap! The tool went deep-six on me.
All attempts to revive it failed. And here I was with the Ghost, coughing like an old man suffering from advanced stages of asthma and its ECG tool just died on me.
Sigh. Some wild guess on the balancing made it even worse.
So I'm now stuck with a bike that's running so damn rich, running it slowly on the road actually cools the bike to 80 degC, something unheard of.
Crap...

1 comment:

rogue01 said...

lol!
living life on the edge is fun!

-sikonesis